Sometimes, the most delicious looking meals are the simplest to make. Through my years of cooking, I've learned one major thing.... it's all smoke n' mirrors. There's nothing to creating a delicate, buttery piece of fish or a savory and sweet side of salsa. The meals I prepare are meant to be enjoyed: they are simple, fast, fresh and flavorful. I don't usually spend more than 20 minutes in the kitchen for a weekly dinner (however my 20 minutes, may actually mean 30 minutes for you- depending on how quickly you like to chop your produce) I hope you like this spring or summer delight. I know we're still in the tail end of February, but hey- my heads stuck in May already, so bare with the leap in seasons 🙂
For the Salsa:
1 pound ripe peaches (about 3 peaches)
1/2 red onion, diced
1 jalapeno pepper, diced
1 1/2 - 2 tablespoons fresh cilantro, minced
Juice from 1/2 lime
1/4 cucumber, diced
salt and pepper
For the Salmon, the glaze recipe directions can be found here
Four 6-oz salmon fillets, please get wild if you can- there is no comparison
zest of 2 oranges
1/2 c. sugar
1 jalepeno, seeded and minced
1/4 teaspoon minced shallot
1/4 teaspoon minced garlic
1 teaspoon salt
1 c. freshly squeezed orange juice
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 c. heavy whipping cream
1/4 c. butter at room temperature
2 tablespoons chopped cilantro
4 cilantro sprigs
For the Curried Quinoa:
2 cups chicken broth or water
2 teaspoons (1 palmful) curry powder or 1 rounded teaspoon mild curry paste
1/2 teaspoon coarse salt
1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
1 handful raisins
1 cup quinoa
2 scallions, sliced on an angle
1 carrot, shredded or grated
1 navel orange, peeled and chopped
2 ounces sliced almonds (available on baking aisle)
- In a small bowl, combine all of the ingredients for the salsa.
- Season both sides of the salmon with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Grill each filet on the grill for 4-5 minutes on each side, brush with orange butter reduction as you grill each side. If you don't have access to an outdoor grill, you can use a Foreman style grill. It will be done in about 5-6 minutes total if cooking that way.
- To make quinoa, bring broth or water to a boil with curry powder, salt, oil, and raisins and quinoa. Cover with lid and simmer for 20 minutes. Let quinoa stand 10 minutes with heat off. Fluff with a fork and combine with scallions, carrot, orange pieces, and almonds.
- Take off of heat and top with the peach salsa. Enjoy!